Deutz-Fahr German tractor, now a part of SAME Deutz-Fahr, traces its roots to 1894 when Deutz was founded. Deutz merged with Fahr, founded in 1870 by Johann Georg Fahr, in 1961 to become Deutz-Fahr. KHD, (Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz), became the owner of Deutz-Fahr.
In 1995, KHD sold Deutz-Fahr to SAME Lamborghini-Hürlimann (SLH), or SAME, which renamed itself SAME Deutz-Fahr (SDF). The combine business was discontinued and out-sourced to AGCO. All Deutz-Fahr combines were then built at AGCO's Dronningborg factory in Denmark.
In August 2007, Deutz sold the engine company, (part of which was formerly MWM GmbH) to the financial investor 3i as Deutz Power Systems (DPS) for 360 million euro. DPS was later renamed MWM GmbH.